The Building Department ensures that all new buildings and renovations meet applicable building codes as well as local ordinances. Plans are checked by experts in different fields before any building permit is issued. Construction sites are inspected regularly during the building process, and a thorough inspection is made before a Certificate of Occupancy is granted.
The Building Department is staffed by six full-time employees. Questions about the Building Department may be directed to the Building Official.
There is a new administrative guideline for the Wind Zone Exposure Category effective immediately. Click on the below link to view.
All new submittals and revisions must be submitted online using the below link to the Building Department Online Portal.
Any further questions please contact the Building Department.
Per the Town's Code of Ordinances Section 12-6, Hours of construction, construction is prohibited on weekdays before 8 am and after 6 pm, on Saturdays before 9 am or after 3 pm, on Sundays and the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Construction activities on Saturdays that are not a holiday listed above are subject to each of the following restrictions:
- The construction activity shall not involve the use or operation of tools or equipment, in any fashion, that creates a noise disturbance across the property line of the permitted job site. For the purposes of this subsection," noise disturbance" shall be defined as any noise, sound, vibration or signal which unreasonably disturbs the comfort, peace or repose of any person.
The following activities are strictly prohibited:
- The placement and/or cleaning or removal of dumpsters or portable restrooms
- The large-scale delivery of construction materials requiring unloading by a forklift or similar mechanical equipment
- Concrete deliveries and concrete pumping
- The use of dump trucks, backhoes, bulldozers, cranes and similar equipment
- The use of compressors, generators, nail guns and similar equipment
- Jack-hammering and hammer-drilling into concrete or a similar surface
- Any other construction activity creating a noise disturbance
Building Department Forms & Documents
As of January 22, 2019, the Building Department will not accept the Town of Highland Beach permit application and will only accept Palm Beach County's Universal Application.
Effective January 1, 2024, at 12:01 A.M. Palm Beach County Impact Fees will change. Please see "Impact Fee Increase Notice for January 2024" under Helpful Documents for more information.
- Addendum to Permit Application for Fences, Walls and Gates (PDF)
- Air Conditioning Replacement Form (PDF)
- Asbestos and Lead Paint Notification Statement (PDF)
- Authorized Agent Affidavit for Building Permits (PDF)
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Cancellation of Permit (PDF)
- Change of Contractor (PDF)
- Change of Sub Contractor (PDF)
- Change Order Form 701 (PDF)
- Construction Site Management Handbook (PDF)
- Contractor Registration Form (Gulf Stream ONLY) (PDF)
- Contractor Registration Form (Town of Highland Beach ONLY) (PDF)
- Demolition Checklist (PDF)
- Do You Need a Building Permit (PDF)
- Early Power Release Request Form (PDF)
- Electronic Document Submittal Standards (PDF)
- Elevation Certificate (PDF)
- Expired Permit Form (PDF)
- Fee Schedule Effective October 2022 (PDF)
- Gulf Stream Window and Door Affidavit (PDF)
- Highland Beach Amendment to the 7th Ed. of Florida Building Code (PDF)
- Impact Fee Increase Notice For January 2024 (PDF)
- Notice of Commencement (PDF)
- Owner Builder Disclosure Statement (PDF)
- Payment of Permit Application Fees (PDF)
- Permit Application General Checklist (PDF)
- Portable Storage Unit Application (PDF)
- Residential Swimming Pool Safety Affidavit (PDF)
- Revision Request (PDF)
- Right of Way Application
- Roofing Forms (PDF)
- Special Inspector Form (PDF)
- Water Heater Change-Out Form (PDF)
- Window Door Buck Affidavit (PDF)
- Window Door Schedule (PDF)